Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Looking forward to a quiet time

Edit: That mis-spelt headline (quite / quiet) has been there A FORTNIGHT and nobody pointed it out to me! I'm so pedantic about errors like that, it's embarrassing to have overlooked it for so long!

On Sunday, Jenny and I flew to Munich, where she gave a talk to the German Zoological Society at the University of Munich, returning home yesterday afternoon.  Her talk was both well attended and well received, with some good questions and stimulating discussion, particularly at the excellent lunch we went to afterwards!

All was not perfect, however.  We'd not bought any hold luggage, but one of our bags turned out to be slightly too big for hand baggage.  That cost us £25 on the flight out, and 30€ on the return, which was irritating.  And in the talk, Jenny's Powerpoint presentation included a number of short movie clips, none of which would work from within the presentation.  Fortunately there was a techie on hand to rush on each time, play the movie, then set the presentation back to where it had been before, so Jenny could carry on.  It worked fine, but she could have done without the hassle!

So we are now settling down to enjoying being at home and not having anything much to drag us away for a while.  I have a Scotland trip in mid-October, just up there one day, home the next, and Jenny has a conference in December, but apart from that, life is settling down once more.

And about time.  Here's how the past few months have been.

Late March, we had a week's freezing and not very successful fieldwork in the Borders, immediately after which, I flew to Malaga for a couple of nights to collect the last few personal possessions from our flat.

April started with a silversmithing weekend, followed by four nights in Wales looking at a supposed fish locality that turned out not to exist. The next week we were in Milan for four nights for Jenny to give a talk at the University.

We were relatively quiet until the end of May when we  flew to Frieburg for a Choir 18 long weekend.

In early June I sang with Priory Singers in Tewkesbury Abby, though Jen had to stay at home to mark exam papers.  In mid-June we flew to Chicago for Jenny to get her doctorate, and at the end we had a week's fieldwork in the Borders, much more successful this time.

At the beginning of July we were at the International Congress of Vertebrate Morphology in Barcelona for a week, but then the rest of July was quiet.

August saw us up in Edinburgh for four days, then singing in Worcester Cathedral for a week, after which Jen went back to Edinburgh for five  days of Vertebrate Palaeontology Symposium.  I joined her for four days, and that then took us into September and Munich.

I feel tired just thinking about it!

No comments: