Friday, 23 November 2012

The (less) wild yoof of today

If you're over, I don't know, say forty, I bet you think the yoof of today  are a wild bunch of binge drinkers and druggies, rude, noisy and aggressive in public, the girls all getting themselves pregnant while they're still at school.  OK, I exaggerate, but I'd bet you, like me, thought there's more than a grain of truth in the stereotype.

Think again.

According to this article in a copy of the Economist magazine which Jenny picked up on the train yesterday, they're rather more conformist than we imagine.

In 1998, 71% of 16 - 24 year-olds admitted drinking alcohol in the previous week, while in 2010 the figure was 48%.
Drug-taking is down faster, from 20% to about 11% (I'm interpreting the graph, so don't have the exact figures.)
Teenage pregnancies are down 25% since 1998, to 1969 levels.
School truancy rates and youthful criminality are down since 2007.
According to the Offending, Crime and Justice survey (when?) people born between 1992 and 1996 are less frequently rude and noisy than their older cohorts were at the same age.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Jennyta said...

It does indeed, Rob!