Monday, 9 July 2012

Another eventful week

On Wednesday we went to see the Royal Shakespeare Company Globe Theatre's production of Hamlet in the King's College Fellows' Garden.  To our amazement, it didn't rain and we enjoyed a terrific performance.  Well, you expect the RSC to be brilliant, and they were. We picknicked on the grass, of course.

On Thursday it was the Royal Society's Summer Science Exhibition.  Well, it's a 2-day event and we went on Thursday.  Cambridge fellows hire a coach to take us there and back, but it doesn't leave until five, so you don't get enough time to go around all the exhibits.  This year, Jenny and I dumped the car at the park and ride and caught a train to London, arriving at lunchtime.

I've not seen the new Kings Cross concourse since it was finished, and I was really impressed.  Well up to continental standards!  We went up onto the balcony and found somewhere nice for lunch, then went to the Royal Society and left our posh frocks in the Fellows' Room before visiting the Royal Academy to see their Summer Exhibition.  As before, we saw a handful of things we liked and a lot we thought...how can I put this tactfully?...not to our taste!

Back at the Royal Society we didn't rush to get to the exhibits, wanting time for our feet to recover, but then, to our distress, we discovered that everything shuts down between five and seven, so our effort to see all the exhibits was wasted.  Bugger!  Well, next year we'll probably not bother with the RA and just do the RS earlier.  It's a bit of a pain that you then have to waste two hours waiting for it all to start up again.

The dinner that is laid on for fellows and their guests was nice, as ever, so we were well fed up and agreeably drunk, to quote Gerard Hoffnung.  I had to take it easy, of course, as I would be driving home from the park and ride.

The coach taking us back to Cambridge was a little late, but we got to the park and ride around midnight, which was not far off what we'd expected.  The drive home was enlivened somewhat when a muntjac crossed the road about 10 metres in front of us.  I had no time to react at all, didn't even touch the brakes, but hit him square on with a loud bang.  He went under the car.

Back home it was too dark to see what damage had been done, but I knew I'd need a new front bumper.  After Spanish on Friday morning, I set about putting the repairs in train, starting with having someone remove the bits of spoiler which were dragging on the ground.  It's definitely an insurance job, this one.  Front bumper, grill, right hand fog light, spoiler, right front wheelarch liner, aircon radiator, intercooler (turbo) radiator.  Probably a couple of grand just for the parts.  I tell you, muntjac are solid little beasties!

Oh, and the repair man said they'd steam clean the underneath of the car, which I'd not have thought of, but is rather obvious!


3 comments:

ArcticFox said...

I think I'd have been tempted to reverse back over the little muntjac and have him for supper!! I was just trying to imagine the smell of lightly cooking deer on the underside of your car as you drive around for the next couple of weeks!! Lovely!

Rob Clack said...

I have eaten road-killed muntjac several times, and it can be delicious. Trouble is, if Bambi has been hit more than the merest glancing blow, the injuries tend to be horrific, and you can't actually recover all that much meat.

If the guts have been ruptured, much of the meat is likely to be tainted with gut contents, and quite frankly, I'm not that desperate!

This one was walking at right-angles to my direction of travel and I hit it square on at 60mph with the middle of the front of the car. The bang was loud (and not pleasant) and I figured Bambi would have been too badly mangled to be worth reversing back.

So far no odour of barbecued venison as I drive!

ArcticFox said...

Sounds like a scary moment really - not one I'd want to be involved in - the hitting at high speed, not the eating of meat..... although I don't do that either!