Monday, 25 June 2012

Who did you say you were again?

Yesterday we sang choral evensong in a local village church and acquitted ourselves rather well.  Introit was Oh Lord, the maker of all things, by Mundy, then we did the Smith 5-part responses, Purcell Mag & Nunc and for the anthem, Purcell Oh God, thou art my God.

Afterwards they served wine and we stood around chatting amongst ourselves and with the congregation.  Jenny and I found ourselves talking to a slightly familiar-looking man who was quite engaging, and we had a pleasant chat.  We didn't stay long, but the surprise came when we got into the car with Julie and Jane to come home.

Although this guy had looked a bit familiar, neither Jenny nor I had had any idea who he was, until Jane and Julie, amid gales of laughter, told us he was only Andrew Lansley, Secretary of State for Health.    Jenny was rather embarrassed, but I had just thought he looked a bit like someone I knew but I couldn't  think who, so it didn't bother me at all.

Probably a good job I hadn't realised who he was, as I might have been tempted to ask him what was really going to happen to Royston Hospital, about which we've heard any number of conflicting rumours and denials, but we suspect will be closed shortly.

1 comment:

ArcticFox said...

that almost qualifies as an "I wish I'd thought of that at the time" moment - most frustrating!!