Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Buzzards

Great news for the buzzards of the UK and a poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Countryside Alliance!

The other day I was horrified to read that Defra was planning to destroy buzzard nests and capture wild buzzards near pheasant-shooting areas because the Countryside Alliance claimed these most beautiful raptors were eating some of the young pheasants the estates were raising to shoot.

Now I know my views in this area are a bit extreme, but I think killing animals for sport is utterly barbaric and should be outlawed completely.  Not just fox hunting, but pheasant and grouse shooting, too.   People who like killing things just for the sake of it I think are completely despicable.  I can't think of a single thing to excuse behaviour like that.

If you kill an animal to eat it, I think that's OK, provided you do it humanely, but just for the sport?  No no no!

So just now you can imagine my delight at reading on the BBC news website that HM Gummint has done a U-turn and decided that plan was a non-starter, and they'll have to think again.  Of course, the Countryside Alliance are furious.  Oh dear, how sad.

1 comment:

ArcticFox said...

and dropping the VAT on pies as well.... it'll be cheap peasant, errrr pheasant pies all the way!!