Monday, 5 March 2012

Passing the idle days

On Thursday we had another great day coppicing at the nature reserve, and I came home exhausted but full of endorphins at the end of the day, small amounts of blood oozing from a large number of perforations, as ever.  We made a big difference, though there's still at least another day's work to go before the meadow has been completely cleared.

On Friday afternoon, Jenny and I drove to the Hereford/Worcester border for another weekend's silversmithing at Bringsty Arts Studio.  I've blogged about this before, so I won't go on and on about it.  Suffice it to say we stayed in our usual, delightful B&B and had dinner both nights in the most excellent Talbot at Knightwick.

I finally finished the pair of wine goblets I've been making for the past eighteen months, and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with them.  They are metal copies of a pair of glasses we've had for a decade or so, and everyone admires them.  I also made a piece for Jenny, which is both a pendant and a brooch, since it has a tube across the back for a chain to pass through, but also a vertical pin (with detachable protector!)  Hanging on a chain, you don't see the pin, but with the chain removed, the pin can be used to attach the item to a jacket, for example. The stone is a 10mm diameter cabochon-cut turquoise, which should give you an idea of the scale.

Ian, the tutor, said that if I'd not told him it was based on African masks, he'd not have guessed.  I've got several west and central African masks hanging in the dining room, as well as a few other pieces of African wood sculpture, and a number of books about masks, so to me, the source of my inspiration is obvious, but I can see that not everyone will make the connection.  There's an American website that sells masks, so if you're interested, you could waste a bit of time browsing, just to get an idea of what they look like.

Jenny made a cat earring, to replace one she lost, then a ring with a nice Blue John (fluospar) stone setting, and finally a most impressive stylized flower brooch/pendant using the trimmings I produced when I leveled off the tops of my goblets.  Altogether, a very satisfying weekend.

2 comments:

Kold_Kadavr_flatliner, sub/dude said...

Because you’re ignorant on how to rise above the whorizontal world and one-outta-one shall croak sometime, somewhere soon, God has set-up this magnificent feature on the Way either Upstairs or downtown: the Warning. Everyone (me, too) living on this planet will see and feel the Warning lasting about 20ish minutes, showing U.S. a gorgeous picture of Heaven, Purgatory (depending whether our sins demand a greater punishment before being allowed into the Great Beyond), and dagnasty Hell. Remember, God doesn’t condemn; we condemn ourselves by our sinful lifestyles of unbelief. The Warning’s just a wake-up call. Don’t believe me? Guhroovy. You will soon. God bless you with discernment: atheism is cool, isn't it, till you croak...

Rob Clack said...

Your grammar is so bad I think you're a bot, just generating silly religion-style text to clutter up my comments box.

Anyhow, in the remote possibility you're a real person, I say this to you. I'm completely confident that when you die, you won't be disappointed by what happens to you. That's because you'll be dead, and dead people can't regret anything.