Monday, 6 February 2012

Snow Sculpture

For the past three winters, when we've had a decent fall of snow, I've made a snow sculpture in our front driveway.  The first was in December 2009.  We'd celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by treating ourselves to a holiday in the Galapagos Islands, and the evening we got back it snowed.  It seemed fitting that I make a snow iguana, and the people walking by seemed to like it.

Last year I made a cat, and when I heard the forecast for snow on Saturday night, I started wondering what I might do.  In the morning we found 10cm snow on the ground, and I made a giant head, basing the design loosely on central and west African tribal masks, though the end result does look rather Egyptian, mostly because of the hair-do, I think.  The edges are softening, as the air temperature is above zero.

No comments: