Tuesday, 7 February 2012

An amazing flurry of avian activity

Today I was hoping to join Doug for some more bird ringing, but woke up with a raging sore throat.  Obviously hanging around in circum-zero temperatures would not be a good idea, so I've spent the whole day indoors with the heating on, sucking Strepsils and every now and then gazing out of the window!

I may have mentioned that I take part in the British Trust for Ornithology's Garden Bird Watch, in which we report the maximum number of each species of bird we see in the garden each week.  It doesn't take much time and it's a useful way of keeping track of the animals that use your garden.

Sunday's count of 12 blackbirds remains the peak for them, but my species count is well up on the usual 10 or 12 that I'd been logging for several months.  Last week I logged 15 species, and so far this week I'm up to 20.  Most of these are just the usual birds you'd expect to see in a suburban back garden - blue, great and long-tailed tits, house sparrows, dunnock, robins, doves and pigeons, for instance.

But Sunday's fieldfare was a first for the garden, the goldfinches, blackcap and greenfinch have been back, and today's high point was a visit by about 15 redwings.  Last time I saw a redwing in our garden was the winter of 2009.

No comments: