Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Been away

I've not been deliberately neglecting my duties, but we've been away for the past couple of weeks, so there's been no opportunity to post anything.  This is the first of (probably) a couple of posts to fill in the gaps.

The week before last, we went to a fossils conference in Lyme Regis, on the south coast of the UK.  The Symposium of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Comparative Anatomy (SVPCA) has met each September for a few days, ever since the early 1950's, generally at a UK university, though there have been occasional forays onto the continent.

This year, to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Mary Anning's brother finding the first ichthyosaur skull near Lyme Regis, the show took place there instead, despite the lack of a nearby university.  And very good it was, too.

Jenny and I drove down on the Tuesday, realising as we hit the M3 that we knew a pub near Winchester that does rather splendid food, so we diverted to the Plough at Sparsholt for lunch.  It's a few years since we sang in Winchester Cathedral, but on that occasion we stayed in Sparshold Agricultural College, and the Plough was the nearest pub. That was when we discovered how good the food was, and this time we were not disappointed.  Well worth diverting for, and we did the same on the way home, too!

I attended the first day's conference, listening to several early tetrapod talks, including Jenny's but after that spent time looking for fossils, which I find much more interesting.  Found none I wanted to collect, but I did turn over a rock to discover this wonderful armoured marine worm.
It's probably a Harmothoe species and I think it's rather fine.  I did take some movie footage of it, but I think you have to be a bit of a marine polychaete geek to want to watch something like that, so I'll spare you!

Although I didn't make a palaeontological breakthrough, I did manage to get sunburned, as the weather was just lovely pretty much the whole time we were there.

No comments: