Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Talking about dragonflies...

One of the things that drives me nuts about dragonflies in particular, is the way so many of them cruise up and down, seemingly without ever stopping for a rest anywhere I can get a decent view of them.  Without clocking a good look, I have no hope of identifying them, and even then, can usually only narrow it down to 3 or 4 species.  I mostly have to get a photograph.

So I was particularly smug when I just waited for much longer than usual on the boardwalk in Fowlmere yesterday, watching this big green and blue jobbie teararsing around, when it finally settled on a twig I could actually see clearly and get a decent photograph.

It's a male Southern Hawker,Aeshna cyanea and I'm pretty pleased with the snap.

I also saw my first Ruddy Darter of the season.  I took this picture in July last year, and have just had to visit british-dragonflies.org.uk to check that it wasn't a Common Darter, but it isn't.


No comments: