Friday, 3 June 2011

Common lizard

I don't remember when I last saw a lizard in the UK, so you can imagine my pleasure yesterday at the bird reserve, when I spotted three common lizards sunning themselves on the boardwalk, not far from where we were trimming back reeds, brambles and hawthorn. 

It was a beautiful day, and we got a lot done.  I also saw a grasshopper warbler, which was buzzing away in a nearby willow, so I was a happy bunny!

On the down side, the mozzies were out in force, and by the time I got home I could tell I was in for an itchy night, as there were several visible bites on my left forearm, and I could feel a new swelling on my left shoulder.

After struggling not to scratch whenever I was awake, I arose this morning to find a 5 cm diameter bump on my left forearm and the outside of my left hand significantly swollen.  Most of the other bites seem to have caused a much more normal reaction.  I hope I'm not developing a sensitivity to mozzie bites.  Generally I don't do allergies, so this would go strongly against my public persona.

No comments: