Thursday, 10 March 2011

Injury time

Today, just 45 minutes after starting at the bird reserve, I pulled a muscle in my lower back.  Decades of painful experience dictated that I down tools immediately.  I lay on the floor of the nearby hide for 10 minutes to let everything settle down, then did a few back exercises, then went to find Doug to tell him I was finished for the day.


But in fact, not only was there no need for me to go home,there was actually a good case for staying on the reserve, walking gently around and gently flexing my back, so that's what I did.

I saw two tree-creepers where yesterday I saw just one, a buzzard being mobbed by rooks, lots of the usual, great tits, blue tits, long-tailed tits, possibly a coal tit, though I really didn't see it for long enough to make a solid identification.  From the Reedbed Hide I saw a red kite very briefly, but I've seen enough of those to recognise one instantly, these days.

And, to my great delight, a goldcrest.  Tiny bird darting about an ivy-covered tree, chattering away continuously.  I was entranced.  Tried to take photographs but just got blurred leaves or silhouettes.  Tried to record the chatter but just got wind roar on the camera microphones.  I did have to come home and check the book before I was confident that I knew what it was, despite talking to Doug about it, since goldcrest and firecrest are very similar. The key difference is that the firecrest has a bright white supercilium (eyebrow), but if you only get glimpses, it's hard to be confident.  Anyhow, the book confirmed it: female goldfinch.  Hoorah!

Anyway, this is a picture of a repoll, just for JennyTA who commented on yesterday's post.  I should have put the links in, but just didn't think.  As usual.  As the saying goes "Trying to think; nothing happens!"

Oh yes, when I got home, I put my back in a hot bath for really quite a long time, and it's feeling much more relaxed now, thank you!

2 comments:

Jennyta said...

Thanks for the photo, Rob. I hope you are feeling much better today. :)

Rob Clack said...

Thanks Jenny. Still pretty stiff and sore, but improving!