Sunday, 16 January 2011

Dinner!

Doing our bit for Hugh's Fish Fight we had mackerel for dinner last night, and it was excellent!  I was a little surprised, because we bought the fish from Tesco, and I'm always a bit dubious about Tesco wet fish, but these were very good, so tick, VG Tesco!


Jenny found a Sophie Grigson recipe in a cookbook printed in the mid-1990's.  The 'chutney' is tomatoes and lemons, with a bit of mustard, coriander and black peppercorns, sweetened to give it a nice sweet/sharp edge. 

You can see that the fish has lemons in and I'm sure something got rubbed into the slashes, but I don't know what.

The chips I par-boiled for 2 minutes, then fried in a heavy, cast iron frying pan, as we don't have a deep fat fryer.    I threw in a chopped garlic clove, which worked OK but I think I should probably have held it back until the chips were half-done.

And all rounded off with plainole frozen peas.  For all that we like going to town on our cooking, I still really like frozen peas!

Washed down with The Wine Society's dry French white wine from the Pays d'Oc, which was really good, too!

1 comment:

Gary said...

Upmarket Fish 'n' chips. Look's great!