Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Curwen's Solicitors, Royston

An artist friend of mine, Paul Bainbridge, suggested I get in touch with Curwens, a local solicitors, because they exhibit works by local artists for a couple of months at a time in their office on Royston High Street.  Sadly, they don't have a page dedicated to the art, despite having been doing this for a couple of years.

Anyhow, the reason for this post is that in mid-March I'll be exhibiting a few of my own pieces of sculpture there, and I'm really delighted to get that opportunity.  It's inspired me to get on with my Reclining Nude, carved from African Paduck wood.  Sadly, today I had to send back the Proxxon power chisel I've been using, as it's developed a fault, but hopefully it won't be away for too long.

The problem with this piece of work is that it's by far the biggest thing I've done so far, and is also pretty complex.  And the wood is cracked, so I've had a few disasters as bits have just flaked off.  What with those and my mum dying in 2009, work ground to a halt.  I made a start last year, but the stresses of my employer folding in the summer distracted me, so here we are a couple of years down the line and really, not much has changed.

Until last week, when I really started to crack on!  Not sure if publishing this picture is a good idea, so I think I'll duck.  People don't tend to be too impressed by work in progress!

No comments: