Saturday, 9 October 2010

Estofado de rabo de buey

As I've mentioned before, when Jenny goes away I like to indulge myself on the food and drink front, so have just put my oxtail stew into the oven for about 4 hours at 140°C.  This is an Andalucian recipe with butter beans, tomatoes and red wine, as well as all the usual suspects.  We've done it quite a few times before, though I think this is the first time I've cooked it by myself.  Not sure.  Anyway, it is one of our favourites, so hopefully will be up to the mark.  To go with it I've brought a bottle of 2002 Côtes Rôtie up from the cellar to warm to room temperature.  I'll decant that an hour or so ahead of time.

For vegetables, I have Dunbar Rover potatoes I grew in a polythene bag, which are nice boiled, though they are a tad too floury for my taste, and then perhaps carrots or French beans or both, straight from the garden.  I know I'll have vastly too much, so am not planning to have a starter or pudding, though there is the dregs of a half-bottle of Montbazillac in the fridge.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should think of something in the way of a dessert.  Perhaps I'll go and see what the farm shop has in the way of berry fruits.... maybe pick up some crême fraîche....

Later: a white-fleshed peach, some fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries.  I think if I heat those up in a light brandy syrup they'll be just right!  And I'm thinking I could do something more adventurous with the potatoes, now I've got the crême fraîche.

No comments: