Saturday, 18 September 2010

Predated Dove's Egg

And no, I don't mean pre-dated!

I found this egg on the compost heap directly below a collared dove's nest and I was intrigued by the obvious peck marks.  It is almost certainly a collared dove egg, being white and the right size.

The fact that the egg shell was directly below the nest suggested it had bee predated rather than had hatched naturally, since the adults typically carry the egg shell a little way away from the nest after hatching.

A brief search of the internet confirmed this, as someone commenting on a forum suggested that a naturally hatched egg has a fairly smooth edge.  I didn't do any follow-up research to check whether or not this commenter was right;  it's not like it's a matter of life and death for me, after all, even if it was for the embryo dove!

And then there are the peck marks, which could easily have been made by a jackdaw or magpie.

I was a bit disappointed in the Tracks and Signs book we keep for just this sort of event, as it doesn't list eggs in its index at all!

No comments: