Monday, 26 July 2010

I am enjoying retirement!

Of course, officially I've not really retired at all, but the chances of my getting a job seem slim, and that's how I like it!

Today I went to Fowlmere Bird Reserve to see if I could spot that grass snake I saw last Thursday, this time equipped with binoculars and camera.  Sadly, it was not to be.  I got to the site at about 10.30, which was about the time I saw the snake before, but it wasn't there.  I did a bit of birding and returned 40 minutes later, but there was still no sign of it.

Of course, there are any number of reasons it might not have been there, so I'll just have to be patient and visit from time to time.  My thinking is that if this is a good spot for a grass snake to catch a few rays, it'll likely be one of a range of such sites it uses on a regular basis, so if I keep visiting, I should see it eventually.  Maybe.

So while I was there I pointed my camera at various things, of course.  The yellow flower is a hawkbit, being attended by hoverflies.  The spider is obviously an Araneid (like the common garden spider, Araneus diadematis) but I can't find it in my spiders book.  The reason I say it's not just a common garden orb web spider is because of the curious structure it builds above the orb and in which it rests.

You can see that it's curled the tip of an oat stalk around and stuck it all together with silk to make itself a platform.  The common garden spider doesn't do that, of course, which makes me think this is something else.  But I don't know what.

3 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Yes life is far too short to have to work if you can possibly afford not to. I am envious Rob.... Like the photo of the Hawkbit with the hoverflies, very nice.

Rob Clack said...

Thanks Denise. Actually I'm not sure we can afford for me to give up work yet. I really really want to, but....

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Retirement? Surely not Rob, but you do seem to be having an interesting time. Those photos are very interesting - don't know what the spider might be, but my Grandson would be fascinated. He has a love/hate relationship with spiders. M :-)