Saturday, 19 June 2010

The first picture is of a ladybird larva on a cyprus cone. We've had the cyprus growing in half a barrel in the front garden for ages, never watering or feeding it enough, so it's pretty stunted, and this is the first time it's produced a cone. Ah, how sweet!

I think the ladybird larva is pretty cute, too, but I may be in a minority there.

The second picture is of some pinks, which smell gorgeous and I'll be picking some in a minute. The story behind this plant is that when I was freelancing I did some work for the British Library at their base in Boston Spa in West Yorkshire, and stayed in a nice B&B for most of that time.

The landlady was really nice and we would chat over breakfast and occasionally at other times. She had a bit of a cough, and after a while I discovered that she was absolutely livid with her GP who had dismissed her concerns over this rather persistent cough, until finally sending her for some tests, which had revealed that she had lung cancer. She'd never smoked in her life.

The last time I saw her she was still undergoing treatment, but to be honest, the 5-year survival rate for lung cancer is not good, so I imagine she's dead now.

With her permission I took cuttings of several pinks growing in her garden, and this is one such. I have a number of her pinks growing in the back garden, and I take cuttings from time to time, remembering her each time I see them flowering.

And the final picture is of my potatoes. As you can see, I'm growing them in bags which are now fully unrolled. There's space for another 10 cm or so of compost on the top and then they'll be done. They're maincrops, but I don't yet know when they'll be ready. I'll have to look that up.

No comments: