Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Beautiful new spider from Israel

Look at this. Isn't it simply beautiful? It features in The Big Picture on the beeb's science page, with text which reads:

Meet Cerbalus aravensis, a newly identified spider species. University of Haifa-Oranim scientists discovered it in the southern Arava region of Israel, in a habitat they say is endangered. With a legspan up to 14cm, it builds an underground den with a trap door made of glued-together sand.
Of course, that's not a face making it look so cute, it's just the front of the cephalothorax (the front blob), with a horizontal row of four eyes across the bottom and two nearly vertical rows of what look like three eyes. But yes, that bit does look like the face of some sort of exotic monkey!

And there's more at http://www.livescience.com/animals/news-spider-species-100111.html

3 comments:

Pondside said...

Lots of short and sweet posts here - it's been a long time since last dropped by, so i was glad to be reminded of what I'd been missing. Fox news - yes, that would be someone's choice for fair and balanced news. I shudder and wonder whose.

Pondside said...

Terrible spelling and typing on that comment - my only excuse is that I'm typing with one hand, as the other is bound up in an instrument of torture designed to promote healing after an accident.

Rob Clack said...

Welcome back, Pondside and I hope your hand heals quickly. I had a hand operation in July and found having my right hand in a plaster cast was exquisitely frustrating!

Oh and I love the picture of the dog on the boat!