Monday, 16 November 2009

No, I've not vanished into thin air

Well, the long silence is because my mum died in the early hours of Friday morning. She was 86 and had been going downhill increasingly fast, so although it was sad, it was not unexpected. I expect there'll be more silence for a bit, but then life will start to return to normal.

I was very pleased to have had the opportunity to go down to visit her on Thursday. I sat with her all afternoon, just holding her hand and talking to her in the brief moments when she woke up.

Her carer asked me what she should do if mum died in the night and I said to do nothing until the morning. Dragging out the medics and me would not bring her back.

So when my phone rang at 6 am, I knew that she'd gone. Apparently she slept well and died peacefully in her sleep around 2 am.

In the morning quite a lot of things happened, one of which was very gratifying. She'd said she wanted her body used for medical science, and carried an organ donor card, but she wasn't eligible for organ donation. Fortunately I found a research group at Bristol University working on dementia, and they wanted her brain. After a few strategic phone calls, the funeral directors collected her body and delivered it to the University. I assume it's now in their chapel of rest, sans brain.

No comments: