Friday, 6 November 2009

Continental drift in action

OK, so this is not exactly news, having been published in 2007, but there's a recent report in Live Science which drew my attention to it. Not sure the recent report actually adds anything to the original Leeds University one, but anyway, I was stimulated to have a play in Photoshop, not least because of some pretty impressive photographs ULeeds published.

So first I went there in Google Earth and hit Print Screen, then pasted the resulting clipboard into Photoshop.

From the first Leeds photo, you can see that the area near Djibouti is moving roughly horizontally apart, but if you follow the hints in the terrain, the rift stops in Malawi, and there's no hint of any tectonic activity in the ocean floor near Mozambique, so I conclude that whole area is pretty much static right now.

So using a magic tool in Photoshop, I drew around a bit area including Mozambique, but following, as I say, the hints in the terrain through Africa. Then I rotated that a bit and dragged it to the right, and coloured the resulting new ocean in in a paler blue. That's my prediction of where things will be in a few million years from now. Aren't you glad you asked?

And the Somali pirates can just live on their island by themselves!

No comments: