Saturday, 20 December 2008

Poorly Sick in bed

On Tuesday Jenny started showing symptoms of that rather nasty cold that's going the rounds, and on Thursday just sat huddled in a corner throughout the carol service, though she perked up a bit when we retired to the conductor's for cottage pie and a few drinks. She really didn't want to be ill, because on Friday she caught a train up to Glasgow where today she has just given the annual address to the Palaeontological Association's 52nd annual symposium. The talk was scheduled for 5.15 so I assume will have finished about 20 minutes ago. Hope she's feeling better than she was on Thursday, when she had a day off.

Today I was supposed to be going with Jane to Royston Choral Society's Christmas Concert, after which I'd planned to feed her squirrel curry, but when I woke up, I had all Jenny's symptoms - achey limbs, tired, slight temperature, coughing, (and inevitable sore throat as a result), headache, etc. Being a bloke, obviously my symptoms are much worse than Jenny's.

So I dragged myself out of bed and cleared up the kitchen, having just left it last night, but couldn't face breakfast. I went to Bury Lane Farm Shop to collect the beef for Christmas day and the squirrels I was supposed to be currying for Jane, but they'd still not managed to get any. I bought a tray of mixed diced game (venison, partridge, pheasant) instead. I wanted rabbit, too, but they only had whole rabbits.

Back home, I phoned Jane to cry off tonight. I figured it would be unkind to cough through the concert (though I know I wouldn't have been alone) and I wanted to offer Jane the chance to avoid catching my disease. I could pretend I was slightly dismayed at the alacrity with which she accepted my suggestion, but actually, I was ready for it.

After that I took a Lemsip to bed and have spent most ot the day there. Jane very kindly pushed a pack each of Day Nurse and Night Nurse through the letter box, as Jenny has taken ours up to Glasgow, of course.

So the game is in the freezer and I've just got a steak out. Slow food can go to hell; I want simple and easy, right now!

2 comments:

Sparx said...

I hope you're getting better, we're down with this one too, it's really awful.

Rob Clack said...

I was really miserable yesterday, but feel much better today. Not completely recovered, but well enough to wash the dishes that didn't go in the dishwasher last night.

There's a word for how I feel, but I just can't think of it. Much better, but still a bit shaky. Any ideas?