Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Geological Haiku Meme

There's a geological haiku meme going on at http://suvratk.blogspot.com/2008/11/geology-haiku-meme.html. I'm not sure if it's still extant, but felt like taking part anyway, so here are a couple of contributions.

Devonian skull
Winks at me from rufus scree.
I dream of Greenland!

In 1987 Jenny and I were part of a 5-man Cambridge/Denmark expedition to Greenland where we collected a lot of Devonian tetrapod and fish fossils. It was tough and cold, but we had a fantastic time, particularly as we were finding wonderful stuff. And that part of the arctic is spectacularly beautiful. I still dream about finding fossils! Edit: copying someone else's idea, I've added this picture of where we camped for part of the time we were in Greenland. The mountain to the right is Stensiösbjerg and we were there in July and August.

A body decays;
Sediment accumulates;
A fossil is born!

No idea how you judge the quality of this or any other art

3 comments:

Suvrat Kher said...

thanks for your contribution. I;ve added you to the list

ArcticFox said...

No idea how you judge the quality of this or any other art - Does it NEED judging??? I love haiku because it tells a thought provoking tale, succinctly. You've certainly achieved those goals.... I loved it!!

Rob Clack said...

Thank you, Fox, that was thought-provoking. It hadn't occurred to me that it might not need to be judged.

Glad you liked it.