Sunday, 16 November 2008

A Meme of 7

I've been tagged by Margot at A mother's place is in the wrong to do a meme of 7s, which I found quite hard. Actually, I can't find 7 of everything, so have done my best. Here goes:

7 Things I want to do before I die:
Visit the Galapagos Islands
See a basking shark
Finish carving my reclining nude. (I'll post a photo in a minute)

7 things I do now:
Carve wood and stone
Sing in a choir
Flashy cooking
Collect fossils
Snorkel
Drink too much
Loathe Tesco

7 things I can't do
Sing the high notes I could
Run more than 50 metres
Sub-aqua dive
Foresee consequences
See close up
Speak a foreign language other than rather basic French
Without Tesco


7 things that attract me to the opposite sex
Intelligent
Extrovert
Slim (sorry!)
Interesting conversationalist
Smartly casual dress
Not religious


7 things I say most often
Oh for goodness' sake! (often replacing goodness with other (in)appropriate terms!)
Coo! That's nice (usually food or wine)
Why did that happen?
That was fantastic dinner, Jen! Thank you. (I really do say that, and it's true!)
I'll just have one more glass.
Must I get up now?


7 Celebrities I admire (tricky. Can't think of 7)
David Attenborough
Kirsty Wark (the Edinburgh accent is the killer!)
Alice Roberts
Aubrey Manning
Monty Don (ah, how we miss Monty Don!)


7 Favourite foods
Almost anything slow cooked, esp. hand of pork roasted with garlic and fennel seed for 8 hours
Roasted grass-fed Aberdeen Angus or Little Dexter
My own roast potatoes, which might not be the bestest in the whole world, but are pretty bloody good!
Wild rainbow trout microwaved with butter, dill and white wine
Bubbling plum and orange compôte (I might have to post the recipe, since I can't find it using google)
Moussaka Muntjac. How could I forget muntjac?!
Penne with Aubergine (I add onion and top with crisply-fried pancetta)



Here is my reclining nude as she is now. Very much early days yet, of course. The real target date is September, when the Herts Visual Arts Forum has their Open Studios event, and I suspect it's going to be a struggle to make it.

Carving the shape is not too bad, but finishing stuff like this is always about 80% of the time.

The wood is called paduck and is an African hardwood which in real life looks rather redder than this picture shows.

OK, Bubbling Plum and Orange Compôte

This is from the Hamlyn All Colour Book of Puddings and Desserts by Carol Bowen, which was published in 1982 and I think is out of print, but is available second hand.
Serves 4

25g raisins
100ml medium dry sherry
3 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 large oranges
450g red plums, quarterd and stoned
soured cream to serve

Put raisins, sherry, sugar, cinnamon stick and a strip of rind pared from one of the oranges into a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat an leave to cool until lukewarm. (That latter bit (cooling) I think is redundant. I never do it.)

Add the plums to the sherry, etc, and cook gently for 6 - 8 minutes until the plums are tender but not disintegrating.

Peel the oranges and cut the flesh into segments. (I slice the peeled oranges horizontally into 1cm slices, then quarter the slices and remove the central pithy core).

Add the oranges to the plum mixture and heat through. Discard the orange peel and cinnamon stick before serving.

This is nice cold, too, and reheats well if you've made too much. And you can freeze it.

Oh yes, I have to tag 7 people: Dr But Why, D J Kirkby, Alternative Anna, Cantoris Bass 1, Trousers, Sparx, East Anglian Troy. Guess I'd better go and tell them I've done so.


5 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Rob
I saw this somewhere else and wanted to do it so thank you for tagging me! Probably next Sunday's post. I hope you will post a pic of your reclining nude once complete.

But Why? said...

Hey,

Thanks for the tag. I was going to post about last night's takeaway (my guts have been good to me recently) but this is much more fun!

East Anglian Troy said...

Thanks for the tag - forgive my ignorance but am I supposed to use the same headings as yours or can be seven of anything?

Give me a few days to come up with answers - this one will keep me busy.

Rob Clack said...

To be hones, EATroy, I don't know. I assumed you had to take forward the existing headings, but it might be much more interesting to make up your own. I'd say go for it! 7 things I wish I could do but can't. 7 things I wouldn't feed my grandmother. 7 things I'd like to feed to Gordon Brown. The list is endless, and much more fun!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Thank you Rob, that was wonderful, and you made me laugh too. I just knew you would mention some fabulous food, and I wasn't wrong! Must try the bubbling plums. M xx