Sunday, 23 November 2008

Fucking OWWWW!

This, boys and girls, is a friction burn, and yes, I am after the sympathy vote! Edit: You can't tell, but it's a photo of the lower calf of my left leg, just above the ankle.

I was out in my shed, carving the lump of paduck, when I realised that if Jenny landed at 13:45 (as confirmed by the BA website) she'd shortly be making her way to the tube and thence to Kings Cross and so home. If there was any sort of a problem, she'd phone, and since the shed is a phone-free zone, I needed to come inside, just in case.

Just about to sit down and read in the living room, I spotted that we were rather light on kindling, so went down to the cellar to collect some. I was wearing moccasin-style slippers, which have a nasty plastic sole. The stairs down to the cellar are plain wood. I wasn't rushing or doing anything stupid, but the combination of damp plastic sole and smooth wood was pretty slippery, and I took flight, as it were.

I expect to have a big bruise on my bum where I sat heavily, but the burn is the much more painful. I guess my left leg just slid down those 6 or so steps, separated from the wood by jeans and a sock, which between them removed quite a lot of skin.

I don't know what the density of nerve endings is on the lower leg, but I can tell you that those 12 square centimetres have far more than I care for, right now. They're all telling me I'm injured, and well actually, thanks guys, but I already know that!

8 comments:

Jane.Dudman said...

Ouch!

Is this a picture of your calf? How did you take it?? By being very bendy?

Rob Clack said...

I wasn't very clear about which bit of me it was, was I? It's just above my achilles tendon. J has been very sympathetic.

trousers said...

Bloody hell - ouch indeed! Looks very nasty, and I hope the pain eases soon.

I've done the tag by the way.

Rob Clack said...

Actually I'm delighted to say it's not nearly as bad as it was. I'd imagined complete agony when I first got into the bath this evening, but in reality, though it stung quite a lot, after quite a short time, it was fine. Now (23:00) it still hurts if I bash it, of course, but mostly it's fine. So a lot of fuss over nothing, really. Typical man injury, I suppose. Sigh.

Anna said...

OWWWW indeed!

Have you put something on it? If not I'd recommend witch hazel or arnica to bring out the inevitable bruising (heals faster that way).

And milk the sympathy for all it's worth!! ;)

The Dotterel said...

Looks very dramatic though, Rob. I should milk it for all it's worth, while you can. (I did with my broken hand - also a stair-fall injury. Any one out there want to make it three?)

ArcticFox said...

not dissimilar to my wet feet vs painted wooden steps, broken coccyx moment!! You are lucky you didn’t smash your coccyx on a riser or smash your Achilles tendon as well… sympathies over such a sore moment.

Rob Clack said...

Glad to say all is now mended. Thanks for the sympathy; much needed and appreciated!