Monday, 11 August 2008

My mum's beef casserole

We went to see my mum on Saturday, returning Sunday, and had a really good time. The new car is so quiet, I'm finding I drive it 15 mph faster than I used to drive the old one, which is getting to be a problem. The real issue is that I always did ride the motorbike 15 mph faster than I drove the car - you sit higher up, so your perceived speed is lower, so you compensate, of course. You can do the computation for yourself - I typically drove the Mazda at 85 on motorways...

Today, overtaking and downhill on the bike, I glanced at the speedo and saw 115 mph. On an A road. This is silly. At the very least, I'm going to lose my licence. If not much worse. So I've decided I have to ease off, though it's going to have to be a conscious process. Sigh.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share my mum's beef casserole recipe with you. It was simply delicious. I'm confident most of my readers have been cooking 20 years or more (sorry, Dr But Why!) so will be able to work out what to do. This is almost mediæval in style, but is easy to interpret, I maintain. This is what she wrote:

"I just browned the beef (skirt- I haven't used it before) and gave it lots of garlic, onions, tomatoes and assorted tinned beans. And fair amount of wine. Can't remember the beans I like for casserole but will remember as soon as I have switched off. "

They were probably borlotti beans, or maybe haricot. I don't think it's critical. Tinned, of course. And she forgot to mention a carrot or two. Oh yes, she cooked it for a couple of hours, left it overnight, then warmed it up for dinner. Like so many dishes, the cook, cool, reheat process improves things.

OK, going to bed. Night night.

7 comments:

Polgara said...

Things like mum's casseroles are always much nicer when reheated...yum!
Pol x

Rob Clack said...

Hi Pol
Yes, and I'm glad to say we just happen to have a lump of Aberdeen Angus skirt lurking in the freezer!

The Dotterel said...

Absolutely - everything tastes better after an overnight infusing of the various ingredients. At least you got more sense out of your mother than I do out of mine when making enquiries about cooking - oh I just do 'this and that' and cook it for as long as I think necessary' is about as specific as it ever gets.

Rob Clack said...

Welcome Dotterel! I've just been visiting your blog.

I used to be a teacher, long ago. I lasted 2 years and 2 terms before I saw the light! Fortunately some time after that I discovered that I loved programming computers, and that's mostly what I've done ever since.

But Why? said...

Hey(!)

Twenty years ago I was fully competent in the kitchen and could reach the hob without having to stand on a chair to do so!

I think cooking is what turned me into a chemist. (That and a healthy pinch of pyromania...)

DJ Kirkby said...

Yum, yum, yum I am def going to make your mom's casserole. Glad you have decided to watch your speed!

The Dotterel said...

Congratulations, Rob - you're the winner (thanks, I think, to my spouse the geography teacher who was very impressed by your geological deductions. Your prize will follow shortly...