Friday, 25 July 2008

Thank you, Yorkshire Pudding

Idly perusing some of my friends' blogs while waiting for my lunch to cook, I came across this that Yorkshire Pud posted on 21st July. I was completely blown away. I don't much like the rest of the poem (I looked it up), though I'm all for the sentiment, but this bit conveys so much in so few words, it has to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. It's by Simon Armitage, who I think is another of those that live on the wrong side of the Pennines. I have reformatted it to suit my own prejudices, which I suppose breaks the copyright.

I have not padded through the Taj Mahal
Barefoot, listening to the space between each footfall

Picking up and putting down its print against the marble floor.
But I skimmed flat stones across Black Moss
On a day so still I could hear each set of ripples
As they crossed.

2 comments:

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Don't know what I like so much about that verse, Rob, but I do. There's a wonderful feeling of stepping into another world somehow. M xx

Rob Clack said...

Welcome back, Margot, and thanks for all your comments. Curiously Jenny, whom I love deeply, is completely unmoved by this verse. Well, Muslims do say everything has to have one imperfection, so maybe this is hers!