Tuesday, 22 April 2008

A fantastic party and some brilliant ballet

On Saturday night we went to a friend's 40th birthday party. She's one of many who sponsor the Southbank Sinfonia, and had hired 5 of them to come and play for us, so we had half an hour of superb music from a wind quintet. Then there was excellent finger food, after which a 3-man band played rock classics until midnight, so there was lots of bopping. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, helped a lot by the fact that Jane was still feeling slightly under the weather and was quite happy to drive. Thanks Jane, and particularly for pouring us in through the front door when you got us home! To my astonishment, I didn't have a hangover the next day, though there was no doubt I deserved one!

On Sunday evening the usual 7 of us went to Cambridge Arts Theatre to see the magical Ballet Black. They did 4 works, the first three being more towards contemporary dance than classical ballet, with very modern, inspiring music. The last piece was less impressive, being much more conventional and set to music by Beethoven. I like Beethoven, but this piece didn't really light any fires for me. This was a surprise, as I'm usually very impressed by dance choreographed by Richard Alston. They don't seem to have their own website, so this is just one of several that comment on them.

As is so often the case, there's not much clue in the title of what the piece might be about, so I just sit back and see what occurs to me. I gave the programme a cursory glance from time to time, but other than that, largely ignored it. So it was something of a surprise to notice, while watching the third piece, that fragments of the music were familiar. Very familiar, actually, and from a surprising source. I would never have expected anyone to choreograph dance to a variation on Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela! Absolutely brilliant!

And now I have to bring my website up to date as I've had a very nice email from a teacher and sculptor, making complimentary remarks about my art.

3 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Sounds all very grown up and I would like to know how you escaped the clutches of a hangover. I've not been so lucky today.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Rob, have been catching up with your Blog, and see you have been having a very sociable time. What a touch of genius to include a bit of Led Zeppelin - very avante garde. Or maybe not? I'm certainly no expert, but it reminds me of Son's music which borrows from (or "samples") just about anything that takes his fancy. Interesting. M xx

Rob Clack said...

Not sure there was anything particularly grown-up about any of it, DJK, just an undeserved escape from a hangover! Sorry you couldn't avoid yours!
Margot, the Zep was an unexpected pleasure. I've bought the CD, and will try to find a way to allow friends to listen to a fragment without infringing copyright. Not sure if this is possible yet.