Sunday, 9 March 2008

How cute is that?


This weekend I found myself having to do a bit of overtime, which is a pretty rare occurrence. I haven't had to work at a weekend for years, but we got a bit behind last week, and putting in a day over the weekend was the sensible option.

I brought the necessary kit home and set it up in my 'office', but sadly, one of the cables I had planned to use was not right, and I couldn't set everything up the way I'd hoped. It was a simple mismatch, but I needed a cable with a male connector on each end and the one I had was male-female and therefore useless.

To get things to go, I needed an extra mouse, and I was on the scrounge from Richard in no time at all. And what Richard came up with was a little beauty. Looks just like an ordinary mouse, doesn't it?
But when you turn it over, you see there's a slide-out bit, which turns out to be the diddiest of base stations, and which you plug into a usb port. It's not just that it's minute compared with the base station I normally use, it's the fact that it docks onto the underside of the mouse when not in use, so you can carry the whole shebang around with you. Neato.

Of course, it could be that I'm so behind the times you've all known about this cool meesicle forever, but it was new to me, and I was impressed!

7 comments:

orchidea said...

It's new to me, too. And I want one!

Rob, I've moved cyber digs. Would you mind updating your link to my blog (if you wish, of course!) thus:

http://www.orchideareflects.com

(it works better with the [www] insert)

Thank you.

orchidea

Rob Clack said...

I've changed the link, Orchidea. Glad to hear you were as impressed by the mouse as I was!
Bones

ArcticFox said...

It's an impressive mouse compared to the clunky "at the time it was state-of-the-art" wireless optical microsoft ergonomic monstrosity that I use..... and on two occasions, my mouse has actually caused duracell batteries to explode right in the palm of my hand with a deafening crack and lots of heat and acid spraying everywhere!!

FoX

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

OK Rob, translation necessary, or maybe not? I'm so far behind the times I haven't a clue what you're talking about. amazing that I manage to blog isn't it? M xx

rilly super said...

docking, base stations? the interntional space station doesn't pass as far over my head as some of your techie posts Rob sigh

Rob Clack said...

Do try to keep up, girls.

OK, here's the biz. Originally your mouse had a wire that was plugged into the back of your computer, but the wires were always getting in the way, so some clever geek invented a wireless mouse. This works by talking in radio waves to a base station, which in turn is plugged into the puter, usually via a usb port, which is just the rectangular slot you plug it into.

My wireless base station, only a couple of years old, is as big as the mouse itself.

Richards mouse has a base station which is barely bigger than a usb plug, so when you want to take it with you, wherever you're going, you push the base station into the slot on the underneath.

Photo's 2 and 3 show the base station sleeping in the underside of the mouse and pulled out and lying on the desk respectively.

The trouble with being a geek is it's altogether too easy to assume everyone else is.

DJ Kirkby said...

I want one!!!!