Thursday, 28 February 2008

It's nonsense, but fun even so!

It's about the colour of your aura. So I don't believe in stuff like this at all. I group it along with religion, astrology, homeopathy and all that other stuff for which there isn't the slightest bit of evidence.

On the other hand, it was only a click from DelboysDaughter's blog so it wasn't much effort just to go and do the quiz. Sadly, I wasn't terribly impressed by the quiz either. There's a set of questions to answer about yourself, and you click the answers that fit you most closely. But as is so often the case, there often isn't an appropriate answer, so I tend to end up clicking answers that really aren't all that appropriate.

For example, I am very interested in religion. I just think it's fairy stories. It's not important to me, nor do I take it seriously, nor is it a central part of my life. I'm just interested in it, that's all. But that isn't an option I can select.

So it's not too much of a surprise that I don't entirely agree with the description of my personality type that this quiz has generated. It is true that I tried teaching for a couple of years, but I was lousy at it and hated it more or less the whole time.

I am kind of interested in saving the planet, but now I come to think of it, the planet is perfectly safe, which leads me neatly into speculation mode. (It's my birthday today. Just humour me!)

I think......
1. Global warming is probably beyond our control already and nothing we can do will help.
2. That means the weather all over the world will change in unpredictable ways, and there's little chance the major food-producing areas will remain productive.
3. Hence, famine on an unimaginable scale, including the developed countries, ie us. With any luck, not for 40 years or so. I don't fancy experiencing this, thank you very much!
4. Thence warfare as we scramble to feed ourselves.
5. Well, disease, too, of course, as our systems are stressed, our infrastructures break down.
6. Plant and animal extinctions on a massive scale. Maybe not up there with the permo-triassic one, but certainly on a par with the end-cretaceous event.
7. Catastrophic population collapse. The survivors are likely to be in the under-developed countries where they are more used to eaking out a living without depending on much technology. I don't see H. sapiens being entirely wiped out.

With any luck, the human population will stay very low for a very long time, allowing the evolution of whole new ecosystems. Sadly, the longer that is the case, the less likely they are to remember what all went so horribly wrong this time.

Any ideas on how we could transmit a warning, given all the unknowns in this somewhat pessimistic prediction?

Sorry, didn't intend to descend into the darkness, nor to drag you with me!

7 comments:

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

And a very Happy Birthday to you, Rob! Of course, you're Pisces, so the wisest, and oldest, sign of the zodiac. (It's all nonsense of course!) However, I do agree with most of that prognosis for the world. Don't see how we can avoid it now. We haven't behaved very well and certainly haven't looked after what we were given.
Ho - hum. Margot x.

Jane.Dudman said...

I did the quiz and came out blue, all supporting and nurturing. Which was nice.

We'll sort the planet out later, Rob. For now - enjoy your birthday!!

Lots of love
J
x

Rob Clack said...

I nearly agree, Margot. Wisest and best, I'd say.

I'm sorry, Jane, I forgot to put the link into the text. I've done so now that it's too late for you! I re-did the quiz, but had to make up a few porkies to get a blue aura! You're obviously a much nicer person to know than I am ;->

Pondside said...

Happy Birthday, Rob! Some of my favorite people are Pisces - daughter, godson. I did the quiz, ended up blue, but like you, felt that I checked a box just to make sure I had one checked - not a real reflection of what I think.
Our world - going to hell in a handcart. One only needs to look at what we're doing to the oceans to know that the price we may pay for our recklessness could be cataclysmic.

ArcticFox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ArcticFox said...

Quick bury a time capsule in your garden with a bag of rice or something or some seeds??

FoX

Anna said...

I'm red! And I don't fit that either. Hmm.

Happy birthday anyway, even though I'm horribly late!