Monday, 18 February 2008

Brilliant sunshine and electricity

It was such a glorious day yesterday, we decided to go to Anglesea Abbey to visit the Winter Garden there, and Lorna and Richard wanted to come, too, which was great. Having got ourselves thoroughly cold, we then retired to the restaurant where I had a very satisfactory jacket potato with beef stew. Good value central heating!

Some of these pictures are a bit disappointing. When I shrank them, they became a bit pixellated, and I'm not sure how to fix that without ending up with huge files. I'll need to experiment, and might come back and replace them some time. Later: I've had another go at the photos. They're still not great, but they are a bit better.

The rest of the post will be pretty much just photographs, so I'll explain the electricity bit of the title now, even though it's out of context. We have solar panels on the roof, connected to the national grid, so when the sun shines, we export electricity, for which we're paid. It's not remotely economical, even taking into account the 50% grant we received when we installed them, but it makes us feel good. Yesterday we generated 7.8 kWh, which is not bad for a winters day. 7.54 today!





























14 comments:

orchidea said...

Your photos exude tranquility and serenity, Rob. I love!

Jennyta said...

Yes, gorgeous photos indeed.

Rob Clack said...

You are very kind. We had a wonderful time, though the place was absolutely heaving, so it was quite an effort to get people-free photos some of the time.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

I remember going there fairly often with my children when we were in Cambridge - a lovely place and a very nice Tea Room, as I recall? M xx

ArcticFox said...

It's been such a photogenic couple of days..... that electricity generating winter sunshine has given everything a really nice golden glow.

I know what you mean about everywhere being full of people, but it's nice to see people smiling in the sunshine on a February day.

Well done.... and thanks for the electricity!!

FoX

Rob Clack said...

It's changed quite a bit since we were last there, Margot. The restaurant was new, so I've nothing to compare it with. Good food, as I mentioned.

You're absolutely right, Fox. I do tend to complain about the crowds, but everyone in the Winter Garden was having a great time, so I should really have seen it from that perspective.

Rob Clack said...

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention the paperbark birches. I swear they wash the bark down, to keep it that brilliant white, and also keep the ground well mulched and dark to provide the perfect backdrop that just highlights the trees to perfection. It just says Rivendell to me, though I know that's silly.

Jane.Dudman said...

It looks lovely, Rob. And of course I'm not the least bit peeved that I wasn't invited and that while you guys were out enjoying the sunshine-filled gardens, I was fiddling with my stupid bicycle chain in the back lanes of Hertfordshire!

Lucky that you made up for it later with the red wine and roaring log fire....

Rob Clack said...

I did feel the weensiest bit guilty afterwards that we'd not invited you Jane, but it was all done on the spur of the moment, without thought of consequences.

In any case, I reckon you'd have preferred imposing your will on a recalcitrant bicycle chain (You vill stay on ze chain vheel, damn you!) to tedious wandering around a freezing public garden, any day!

Are you up for dinner tomorrow night?

Pondside said...

Beautiful photos! We have a paperbark birch in front of our house - I love it, but many people find it messy.
Good for you - the solar panels - wow!

Jane.Dudman said...

I was only teasing, Rob...me and my bike chain were very happy together!

And yes, I should be around for dinner tonight. Let me know where you're heading.

J

Rob Clack said...

Hello Pondside, and I see you're making up for lost time, with numerous comments! Thank you!

Glad your boys are enjoying themselves now that they've attracted some girlies! How will the wild ladies get on when the eagle reappears?

rilly super said...

Those gardens look lovely, something calming but chilling (I'll think of the actual word I'm looking for as soon as I post this, like those nature morte still life paintings, you know what I mean) about a garden in winter.

how much is 7.8kwh anyway?

Rob Clack said...

Hi Rilly, thanks for dropping by. A kwh is a kilowatt for an hour, which is the same as a unit on your electricity bill.

So 7.8 kwh is 78 hundred-watt light bulbs polluting the night sky for an hour. Or one, poor, lonesome little bulb, shining it's little heart out for 78 hours.

Ah, but don't you get the au pair to sort out the utility bills? So units won't mean much to you, will they?