Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Chicken & Broccoli Bake

This is one of my favourite uses for left-over roast chicken.
Deflesh the chicken and cut the bits into bite-sized chunks. Cut the broccoli into medium-sized florets and steam it until just the crisp side of cooked.

For stodge, we use mashed potato or macaroni, so cook some of that. I'm not going to give too many quantities, because everyone eats different amounts, but if you look at the ingredients and think about how much you eat, you should be able to estimate it reasonably. It's not rocket science, after all, so precise quantities are not the order of the day.

OK, roughly the same amount of chicken as broccoli. Probably much the same of mashed potato or macaroni.

Make a white sauce. I didn't do enough, having only started with about an ounce of butter, so the end result was a bit dry. Go for an ounce and a half if you're using mash, but double that if you're using macaroni.

Having the chicken carcase lying around I stuck it in the pressure cooker with a litre of water, a hacked up onion and ditto carrot, salt, pepper and a couple of bay leaves. Gave it 10 mins at whatever pressure you get, to produce some chicken stock.

The advantage of this was that when I came to make the white sauce, I could use the hot stock to start off the roux, which makes the early stages sooo much easier than using cold water or milk. And the stock seasons the white sauce, too. So my white sauce was probably 50% stock, 50% milk. Probably worth tasting it at this point and adjusting the seasoning.

When the broccoli and mash/macaroni are cooked, layer the chicken with the broccoli in an oven-proof dish. If using mash, pour the white sauce over the chicken and broccoli at this point, then add the mash as a single layer.

If using macaroni, mix that in with the chicken and broccoli first, then pour the white sauce over the lot. Yes, I forgot to take a photograph at this point. Sorry.

Top with breadcrumbs. You could give it a grating of parmesan if you wanted.

Bake in the oven at 200C for half an hour or so, but keep an eye on it, as the time is approximate, just as the quantities are.

Yum!

5 comments:

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

I'm definitely going to make that recipe, it looks perfect - my Swiss Hobbit-Student will be most appreciative. Tonight he had toad in the hole and polished off every scrap! M xx

Rob Clack said...

I've no idea where Jenny got the recipe. Might have been a book, or she might just have made it up one time based on what was in the fridge. Well, you know. Dinner time...what's in the fridge ... chicken ... broccoli .. Ok, I can cope with that! I'm not skilled enough in that department. I can follow a recipe fine, but making it up as you go along, no, that's too hard for me.

DJ Kirkby said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum,yum, yum....

Vi vi vi vooom!!!!!!!! said...

If you are looking for a low fat white sauce, go 1 part low fat soft cheese, 1 part skim milk, 1 part low fat fromage frai. Very nice and not many calories! Thanks for visiting!

Rob Clack said...

That sounds nice, V, I'll try to remember it.