Friday, 25 January 2008

Burning the candle at both ends

The past few weeks seem to have been just frantic, with no time to relax properly and wind down. We've been having a really great time, but after a while you say to yourself "I just need a quiet evening at home, with nothing much to do, and an early night." Last night might have been that night, except Lorna and Richard had spotted that Kite Runner was on in Letchworth and persuaded us to go with them. Real hard, that was.

We do this on a regular basis, going to the pictures. We never go when a movie is just out, and we almost always go on a Tuesday or Thursday evening. As a result, there are generally only about a dozen people in the cinema. We always eat out beforehand, usually at an Indian restaurant just around the corner, where we know that even though their service is a little slow, we can get a reasonable main course in time to stroll to the cinema for the start of the main programme. If their service was better, I'd identify the restaurant so they'd get a minute bit of publicity.

And Kite Runner is such a good film, really moving, and with some spectacular scenery. I'm not sure how realistic the plot was, but dinner did include a bottle of white, and I was comfortably full, so it was easy to suspend disbelief and just get on and enjoy the film. We're thinking of joining the Amazon DVD library, and will look out for this when we do, as it feels like one of those films you can watch many times.

Now I think I need to be poring over cookbooks to select something to make you drool when I describe it in next week's posting! Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Hmmm...we are watching films at totally different levels, our highlight of the weekend will be going to see the 'Bee' movie! Get creating in that kitchen, I will be back to drool and steal the recipie.

But Why? said...

The Kiterunner is a superb book, too. Probably my favourite read of last year, though a close thing with Half of a Yellow Sun. Note to self: go see the film...

Rob Clack said...

I plan to read Kite Runner in due course, and will keep an eye out for Half of a Yellow Sun. The only problem is that my stack of books waiting to be read is growing. I can't keep up!