Wednesday, 19 December 2007

We all will be off to Washington DC

Just in case someone happens along reading old posts, this one originally announced to the world that Jenny was to be awarded the Daniel Giraud Elliot medal, which is one of several awarded to scientists of various disciplines by the National Academy of Sciences. It's a a great honour, and of the list of previous recipients, several are really big names in the biological world, so we're just bowled over by it all.

After I put up the original post, it transpired they'd asked her not to say anything about it until NAS publicised it, which they finally did last week (22nd Jan), so I removed the posting, but now it's in the public domain, I'm refilling the gap a bit.

We'll be going to Washington DC for the awards ceremony in late April.

8 comments:

orchidea said...

Well done to Jen and congratulations! You must be so proud!

Rob Clack said...

Too right! For decades she's worked quietly away, her immediate colleagues saying "Great job!" but otherwise nothing. (Well actually, that's what you'd expect, realistically.) Over the last few years the wider world seems to have noticed - Reader, Professor, keynote speaker at conferences around the world, and now this. I think it's fabulous! Nothing to do with basking in reflected glory, of course!

Polgara said...

Well done Jen! And Washington! arent you lucky!

But Why? said...

Congratulations to Jen! And in my very humble opinion, sticking out decades in academia is no mean feat, either.

DJ Kirkby said...

Congratulations to Jenny. I am in awe...no seriously I am!

dulwichmum said...

Dear Rob,

I am so sorry I was not good at the meme, I was writing up a storm trying to finish my book. Have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Rob Clack said...

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'm really looking forward to going to Washington in April. The only other time I've been there it was the dead of winter and bitterly cold.

DM don't worry about the meme. Seems to me that a rather relaxed attitude is a central part of blogging. It gets out of hand if you take it too seriously!

Sparx said...

Hi Rob - congratulations to Jen, that's amazing, I'm so impressed. I hope you both have a fabulous holidays!