Monday, 10 December 2007

Oh what fun - a history of lives!

The "write a letter to your 13-year old self" meme set me thinking a bit. Here's the scenario: suppose you write to yourself and it does actually change something. Like I might not have given up playing the piano. So there's a new version of my life, if you like. This time, when the piano-playing Rob writes to himself, that's not something to recommend, since it's already in place. So this time, there's a different letter.

If the second letter also changes something, then we're on to life version 3, and so on. It's easy to imagine loads of different versions. So the ability to write to yourself introduces the concept of life metadata - a history of your lives; a whole added dimension. I think that's so cool!

It's also bollocks, of course, being based on an impossibility, but that doesn't stop it being fun!

8 comments:

But Why? said...

Based on an impossibility? Where?

Oh, I see it now - it assumes that a 13 year old would heed advice. Nah, it'll never happen...

Rob Clack said...

Ha ha, v funny. Maybe I should have tagged you. For most of those I did, thinking back to 13 is a major exercise, whereas for you it's relatively recent. I chose bloggers who's letters I thought might be interesting, and now I suspect a letter from (how can I put this?) someone of your tender years would be exactly that. If you feel like picking up the tag, I'd be very interested in what you write.

ALF said...

Found your site from djkirkby's - just stopped by to say hi!

But Why? said...

Rob,
I'd be delighted. I'll have a think and drop my younger self an early Christmas present of sage counsel.

Pondside said...

I'll take up the challenge, Rob, but it will have to wait for a spare minute on the weekend. This may be just what I need to get out of a blogging dry spell.

Rob Clack said...

Thanks for dropping by, alf. I am extremely envious of your back yard, though I fess I prefer warmer climes.

And I shall look forward to reading but why and pondside's letters. This meme is turning out to be really interesting!

Blossomcottage said...

I can see from your blogs that it would have been quite impossible to have given you any advice that you might have taken, however if you were going to listen to anyone the most likey person would have been yourself. Me I think I would have listened to anyone who took the time to say something other than never mind dear you can always be a hairdresser!!At 40 when I won a couple of photographic competitions my lovely mother said" Oh well done darling you were never going to be a brain surgeon but now you are good at something!!"
Blossom
p.s nice to meet you

Rob Clack said...

Thanks for visiting, Blossom. Your comment reminds me of a cartoon I saw of an office door, labelled "CEO and still a disappointment to his mother."