Sunday, 9 December 2007

How to waste your life

So on Wednesday, at my request, my ISP changed me over to a different email server, and ever since then Thunderbird has been able to send email, but not receive it. Fortunately I've been able to use webmail, so I've not been completely cut off from the world, but I much prefer Thunderbird, so I've invested quite a bit of time trying to sort it out.

I'd been in touch with the ISP tech support ahead of time to find out what changes I'd have to make, and all they mentioned was changing the POP3 server name, so that was what I did, but since then I've been living in a world of pain.

This afternoon, quite by chance, I stumbled upon a web page which mentioned the acronym SSL in connection with encrypted email connections, and a penny dropped. I've visited my Account Settings so many times over the past few days, I could actually remember that mine was set to use TLS if available. TLS (Transport Layer Security) is a slightly more recent protocol than SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), but that's not the point. SSL was an option, so I clicked that and saved the settings.

And behold! Thunderbird now receives email, hoorah!

So why, I ask, couldn't the ISP tech support guy have just mentioned this to me? I mean, the old server was not encrypted, and the new one is, so maybe, just maybe, the encryption protocol might be relevant. No? Am I asking too much?

1 comment:

DJ Kirkby said...

I have given you an award. Wish I could see the look on your face when you first see the sheer 'Tweeness' of it! You deserve it anyway, I enjoy your posts!