Saturday, 8 December 2007

Been bloody tagged!

So I've been tagged by Arctic Fox. Thanks Fox, haven't you got anything better to do? Actually, I'm secretly grateful, as I've never been tagged before, and I somehow feel as though I've finally arrived in the blogosphere.

The rules

1. Link back to the person who tagged you.

2. Imagine you could send a letter back in time to yourself, when you were 13 years old, what would you write to yourself?

3. Tag 5 people to inflict this on (sorry guys!) - Pondside, Headless Chicken, DulwichMum, DJKirkby, SnailbeachShepherdess.

And here is the rest of it.


Dear Rob

Here I am in my late 50's and I have discovered there is a wonderful way to write to myself, just once, when I was 13. What you're reading is a letter from the future; a letter from yourself when you're much older.

Now I remember when I was 13, how tedious it was getting advice from adults. What a waste of time! What do adults understand about me? Sod them!

So the first thing to tell you is that this is not going to be a lecture telling you to pull your socks up and all that garbage. I've had a great life and am continuing to do so, so I'm not going to nag you to do anything much different. Not everything has gone perfectly, and I've been pretty miserable from time to time, but that's how it is, and working harder at school or university wouldn't have changed that. In any case, you know you should work harder than you do and nothing I say will change that.

So there's going to be nothing about smoking or drinking, and nothing about school, but what there will be is a few things, in no particular order, which it seems to me you could usefully bear in mind when the time comes to make a decisions.

For instance, when you leave school, don't imagine you have to give up piano lessons. You'll have done really well and will really be enjoying it for almost the first time, and there will be no reason to stop. Adults also take music lessons, and you shouldn't just assume you have to give up.

You will absolutely love driving cars (and later, motorbikes). It's worth taking the advanced driving test. They have some stupid rules which you have to follow until you pass, but then you can forget those. The key things they teach you are ways to drive safely as well as quickly. Any fool can drive fast, but doing so safely is a neat trick.

Don't be taken in by religion, ouija boards, spiritualism, astrology or any of that nonsense. It's all just smoke and mirrors, just airy fairy fantasyland and it's a complete waste of time. You have one life, and when it's over, it's done, so make the most of it. Apply your scientific understanding of the world, and you'll see that without proper, reproducible evidence, there's just nothing to any of their claims.

But, do think about joining an Anglican church choir. Sounds like a contradiction, doesn't it, but it's not. You don't have to believe, all you have to do is not admit it. I know you were brought up Congregationalist, but the Anglican choral evensong service has stunning music, and the best music to god ratio of any service I know. Yes, you'll have to put up with all those around you praying and posturing, but just relish the music. They say the devil has all the best tunes - that's nonsense; the Anglican church has the best by far! The reason we never heard any choral music in our house is because our sainted father doesn't like it. I'm afraid he's a bit of a Philistine in that respect. Grandpa J sings in a church choir and could introduce you to some good stuff if you asked him.

OK, end of lecture. Probably best not to mention this to anyone, but do hang onto this letter.
Love
Rob

7 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Thanks Rob, this is kind of cool as far as Meme's go. I will do it for next Friday's post.

DJ Kirkby said...

P.S. nice letter...

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Gee thanks Rob....thirteen..that was an awful long time ago...but I'll have a go...

dulwichmum said...

Thanks very much Rob, I shall have a go, but I really am rubbish at this type of thing... OHMYGOD! What was I wearing?

Polgara said...

I tagged you for this too lol
pol x

Polgara said...

I'm still struggling with the smoking, for five weeks now i have not smoked during the week but i just cant seem to manage a weekend!

Rob Clack said...

What convinced me (and I was just about your age at the time) was a TV programme which pointed out that smoking was directly linked to a peak in fatal heart attacks in 40 year olds. That made me want to give up, though it was still bloody difficult and I needed lots of support from those around me.

Just sooooo glad I succeeded!

Oh yes, the immediate reward was that I kept drawing the same amount of cash each week as I had done before, so my wallet was quickly bulging with cash. That may not work for you, but I do believe you need to get an immediate reward, and chocs will soon bring about a need for a new wardrobe, too!