Thursday, 22 November 2007

A Most Important Question, finally answered!

And the answer is......lynn-ux. Yes, for all these years we've been confused about the pronunciation of linux; is it Lie-nux or lynn-ux. Finally, the dilemma is resolved, for today I read in the British Computer Society magazine an interview with the man himself, who confirmed the pronunciation. Phew!

Who? you ask? What man? Well Linus Torvalds, the man who actually wrote linux.

And in case you're wondering (I know you are!) he's Finnish, so is pronounced Leenus.

And if you haven't the slightest idea what I'm raving about, don't worry, the nurse is here with my medication.

7 comments:

brian said...

What a great interview! Read it here:

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.14769

Rob Clack said...

Hey, cool! It didn't occur to me that it would be available online. Thanks.

orchidea said...

Of course its lynn-ux. I've never thought of it any other way, but maybe that's because I live on the continent, where in most languages an "i" is pronounced "e".

Torvalds doesn't sound like a very Finnish name. Not enough double consonants and äääääääää's.

orchidea said...

PS. Is she pretty?

Rob Clack said...

There's a photo of him, looking disconcertingly young, in the article. I did think about copying the photo and uploading it into the post, but then figured it was easier just to refer you to it.

orchidea said...

Not him, the nurse!

;-)

Rob Clack said...

God, I am slooooow sometimes!