Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Contemporary Dance

Last night, a bunch (well, the usual reprobates - Lorna, Richard, Jane, Jenny, me) went to Cambridge Arts Theatre to see the Richard Alston Dance Company. We've seen them before and knew they were good, so were looking forward to the evening.

We met up in the theatre restaurant, with Jenny arriving about 15 minutes late, having not escaped her adult ballet class until 6.30. Anticipating this, I'd ordered for her, reasonably confident she'd be happy, which proved to be the case. Jane had warned us she'd not get to Cambridge before 7 at the earliest, so we didn't wait for her.

The food was good, as was the wine, and a little after 7.30, Jane arrived, and when the bell started to ring, we made our way downstairs.

At the door, however, there was a line of people waiting to go in, so seeing no-one queued at the bar, I quickly ordered drinks for the first interval, then went in.

We were in the very front row. Goodness me, I've never been so close to the action before! It was absolutely brilliant! We got more and more enthusiastic as the evening wore on, and came out really elated. I've no idea why I like dance, but I really, really do. If you've never tried it, and get a chance to go, take it. If you don't love it, you'll only have wasted one evening. If you do love it, you'll thank me for the rest of your life.

2 comments:

Pixie said...

OOhh the Art's Theatre, that takes me back, used to hang out there when I lived in Cambridge, cause of boyfriend at the time worked there. Saw so many wonderful plays.And worked there ocassionally.
px

DJ Kirkby said...

I will take you up on your advice if anything of the sort ever comes our way.