Saturday, 20 October 2007

Today's cock-up

I really do think this is quite funny. Fortunately. Today our friend Julia is celebrating a birthday with a zero, with a meal for about 20 in a local restaurant. Today is not her birthday, of course, just the nearest convenient Saturday. The other day when I went to check the time we were due at the restaurant, I couldn't find the email, but Lorna and Richard said they thought it was 7.30 and that sounded reasonable, so at 7.20 I went over the road to collect them and we walked up into town.

We were greeted with "You're first to arrive" but nothing else, but when we thought about it, it did seem odd that our host and hostess weren't there already. I asked what time we were booked in for, and burst out laughing when he said 8.30. Why didn't he say "Do you realise you're an hour early?" We could have stayed and had a drink, if we hadn't worried about being completely arseholed by the end of the evening, but instead we came home again. Lorna had forgotten to check her email, so I don't know where she got 7.30 from.

So that's how I have time to write this post! Now I'm going to pour myself a glass of white and read my book for half an hour.

No comments: