Tuesday, 16 October 2007

Result!

OK, I know this was nothing to do with my post about grey squirrels, but the timing couldn't have been more perfect. This evening, on Channel 4 the Wild Gourmets were in Cumbria, where they shot some grey squirrels and then prepared "Peking squirrel" (ie, like Peking duck only with squirrel) - poached, shredded squirrel meat in a 5-spice sauce, with wild greens and spring onions, rolled up into those thin, thin pancakes with a wild damson sauce. And served them up to the locals in a pub, to widespread acclaim. Everyone that didn't end up on the cutting room floor said they loved it, and all were either going to sell it in their shops or serve it in their restaurants or eat it when it was on the menu. Brilliant!

And it was on prime time TV, so hopefully this will be the start of a movement to make grey squirrel a normal presence on our game counters, and then we might see the numbers start to decline a bit. Well OK, rise more slowly, if you insist I remain realistic!

And just to reinforce what I was saying about the impact of the greys on our native red squirrels, there are about 150,o00 reds in the UK and 2.5 million greys. Unchecked, Mr Wild Gourmet said, the reds could be extinct within 15 years.

I'll say that again. Red squirrels in the UK could be extinct within 15 years. Think about it.

6 comments:

ArcticFox said...

A lot less if we develop a taste for them too!!

FoX

PS: joking!!

Rob Clack said...

Haha! Actually, I can just imagine it. You put the cooked squirrel back into its skin and balance it atop a Jamie Oliver-style tower, the way the trendichefs insist on serving food these days. "And just a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil - lookathat - luvvly!" Red would be much prettier than grey.

mountainear said...

I'd eat squirrel - after all I eat most other things. squirrels look like they have a good free range life, dine off proverbial fat of the land etc. Don't fancy and old and chewy one though.

Bring on the squirrel canapes is wot I say.

Rob Clack said...

So far I've only eaten two, and neither was tough and stringy. With any luck they don't live long enough to get like that anyway.

Squirrel canapes - splendid idea!

But Why? said...

I'd love to tuck into a squirrel. I imagine it'd be a bit like rabbit. Happy to make do with the greys...

Rob Clack said...

Welcome to my blog, Dr ButWhy. Thanks for visiting.