Sunday, 21 October 2007

Just passing time

I'm glad I had the wit to check out the United Airlines website this morning, because Jen's flight landed 35 minutes early. I just grabbed my handbag and drove like the wind. All went well until the short stretch between the M4 and LHR itself, where I got clogged up in slow-moving traffic. As I approached Terminal 3 my phone rang and it was Jen, wondering where I was. Fortunately she didn't have to wait long for me and we were soon on our way home.

I grabbed myself another couple of hours zeds, then got up, remembering I needed to buy something for dinner. I'd kept a couple of the squirrels out of the freezer, but Jenny wasn't keen, so I had to think of something else. I got a guinea fowl from Bury Lane Farm Shop and I'm going to casserole it with red wine vinegar and puy lentils, using a Tamasin Day Lewis recipe. I've got a rather limp savoy cabbage which should go well with it.

I think the real reason we're slightly uncertain about the squirrels is that we can't find much in the way of sensible recipes for them. There are endless recipes on the web, but most of them seem to assume you wanting to do this as quickly and simply as possible. I'm sorry, but any recipe that specifies a can of chicken or mushroom soup gets a click of the Back button. I do notice that most recipes suggest you cook the beasties, then debone them before continuing on with the recipe, so I assume their tiny bones are best kept out of the casserole. Don't recall having a problem before, and certainly they're no smaller than quail, but that was on the barbie. Might be more difficult submerged in sauce.

At the moment I'm thinking in terms of coq au vin, just substituting the squirel meat for the chicken.

5 comments:

ArcticFox said...

You know what I thought.... for the squirrels, it might be "fun" to turn them into like chinese crispy duck.... you know the stuff that gets shredded and into pancake rolls?? Perhaps that would be a good way of cremating the beggars!!

FoX

Mopsa said...

Rob, don't know if you saw my post on munching squirrels - must be a year or so ago - it would have been delish if it wasn't like eating a chunk of rubber. Anyhow, I suggest a good long slow casserole with plenty of luscious juices to keep it all well lubricated and root veg.

Rob Clack said...

I've only been blogging since the spring, Mopsa, so had to go in search of your post. Thank you for the warning. I think I'll poach them until cooked enough to debone, then add to a casserole of some sort. Apple and calvados gravy sounds nice!

DJ Kirkby said...

I suggest a creamy wine sauce with wild mushrooms, served on risotto. If you slow cook it the bones should sort themselves out, eh?

Rob Clack said...

I'm drooling at the thought, DJK. I imagine it won't be long before I can let you know.