Friday, 12 October 2007

A fragment of a translation of a poem....

This is a bit of Jerome Sams' translation of L'Histoire du Soldat by C F Ramuz and set to music by Igor Stravinsky. I heard it on BBC Radio 3 a while ago and absolutely loved it, though apparently some purists were horrified that it wasn't being done in the original French. If it had, of course, I would not have understood any of it, so I think it was a jolly good thing!

This is only a fragment, the bit I like best.


The thing you were before you changed, you can't be any more.
You can't add what you've now become, to what you were before.
You have to choose, you can't have everything, that's not allowed.
One happiness is all the happiness you get, and two's a crowd.


Wish I could write poetry like that.

2 comments:

ArcticFox said...

That's very good..... why on earth would someone insist on it being in French.... they should move to Frenchland if that's how they feel....

There's far too much snobbery around opera and suchlike already... Surely it makes sense to make things more appealing to the masses?? Just like you did....

FoX

headless chicken said...

I like it....and I'm glad it's in English, I bombed in my French O level! (many moons ago)