Thursday, 4 October 2007

Carving!

I finally started carving again! Somehow, for ages now, I've just not had the motivation to get out there and actually do something, but that all changed on Tuesday night. I'm carving a head for Lorna to give to her friend Dot as a birthday present, but it's been languishing in the shed untouched.

On Tuesday I realised that I wasn't happy with the way I was doing it, so took a fresh look and changed it. It's called Girl in a Wimple, which is deliberately provocative, a wimple being so similar to a hijab. Trouble was, I'd carved her face to be rather sweet and girlish, which is not at all my style, so I had at it with vigour, and now it's much more deeply set, more angular, more geometric, and I'm much happier with it! Did some more work on it last night and expect to do some tonight, too.

And now I'm soaking up that wonderful feeling you get when the logjam finally breaks and everything just moves right along. Magic!

3 comments:

ArcticFox said...

And here was me thinking you had been too busy with "other things"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7024964.stm

FoX

Rob Clack said...

I read about that the other day and couldn't decide whether or not to be put out, along the Harrumph! Stealing my ideas! line. Fortunately I don't actually take it all that seriously. And it was a good wheeze, though he should have distributed them more slowly, to ratchet up the suspense for max effect. I think.

ArcticFox said...

I agree entirely..... I imagine it's done his work a great deal of commercial "good" though, and of course there are now values attributed to his stuff!!

Good self promotion!! Clever guy when all's said and done.

Besides, I prefer yours anyway!!

FoX