Tuesday, 11 September 2007

Ow! Ow! Ow!

On Thursday Jenny is at Imperial College in London, and will probably be late home, so I decided I'd cook her a cassserole which can just sit in the oven until she arrives. Scooting around Tesco yielded half a kilo of oxtail, so I set about making one from a book of Andalucian (southern Spain) recipes.

This involved, amongst other things, crumbling up a couple of dried chillies. Now I know that with fresh chillies you must resist the temptation to scratch your eyes and all that, but these were dried, so when my nose itched, I didn't give it a thought.

I know what you're thinking - "Ewwwww! He picks his nose while he's cooking! That's disgusting!" Well actually, it was a scratch, not a pick, but in any case, when I do anything like that, I always, but always, wash my hands before continuing the cooking. So there!

A moment or two later, I realised I'd hurt myself, though I didn't immediately make the connection. When the pain continued, however, I joined the dots. Pain is a great persuader, and I'm persuaded it's not a good idea to put your hands anywhere near anything remotely sensitive for quite a while after processing chillies in any form! I can just imagine....no, on second thoughts, I'm not even going to think about going there!

And I can assure you, the inside of your nose, even only just inside the nostril, is really, really sensitive!!!!

8 comments:

Omega Mum said...

Particularly liked the title of this post. And the rest of this wasn't bad, either. Useful advice re inside noses and chillis. Will bear it in mind for the future.

Rob Clack said...

It was the fresh vs dried bit that caught me out, and yet it's obvious that the oils, which cause the pain, also provide the flavour and bite. I just didn't engage my brain at all. Nothing new there, then.

Flowerpot said...

how extraordinary - my husband did exactly the same thing last night. Must be somethign in the air, Rob!! Only he was adding extra chilli to a Thai meal he'd made (I don't like things Really Hot whreas he does - or he thinks he does until he tries it). Good to meet you.

Rob Clack said...

I think chilli has a magical effect of making you want to rub your eyes or scratch your face or something, just so it can hurt you!

Thanks for dropping by.

mutterings and meanderings said...

But was the oxtail casserole good - or did the chilli put you off eating it?

Rob Clack said...

I have to say the casserole was superb, though I know I shouldn't. It's part of the 'assemble, cook, serve, receive praise' bit. This really was easy and completely delicious!

Before publishing the recipe, however, I'm determined we'll find the one Jenny cooked a few months ago. I've now done 3 different ones, none of which have been the one she did, and this was the one we were both convinced was the killer. Wrong. Excellent, but not the biz.

If you can't wait, I recommend Delia Smith's Oxtail with haricot beans in her Complete Cookery Course.

Or alternatively, watch this space!

Rob Clack said...

I've re-read your question and my answer, and I realise I missed something.

It's not possible for slow-cooked oxtail to be anything other than delicious. It could be gorgeous, or fabulous, or superb, but that's about it!

Of course, the emphasis is on slow-cooked.

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol, silly man. We eat a lot of tabasco as the boys don't like chilli so it is simple to add it to ours later. Anyway one day Chopper added tabasco to his bowl of chilli and then rubbed his eye!Such a bad idea!