Wednesday, 26 September 2007

The end of the wasps

So yesterday as I dressed, I saw the usual dozens of wasps coming and going. (Off topic: I have my own dressing room. We didn't plan it that way when we bought the house, but for most of the time we've been together, I've got up much earlier than Jenny, and in the dark winter mornings it was just kinder to use a spare room to dress in, rather than switch the light on when she wasn't really awake.)

This morning, lying on the floor doing my back exercises, I thought "No wasps! Where are my wasps?" In the whole 10 minutes I was exercising, I think I saw 2.

I thought they were killed by the first frosts, but we haven't had a frost yet, though it has been pretty chilly.

I'm not exactly heart-broken about it; just curious really. And it will mean it's time to clear up in the loft. The nest is somehow in a piece of roof void left over when the loft was converted to a room. There's obviously a small gap which waylaid a few of them, leading them away from the real exit, as we have several dozen tiny corpses littering the loft. We've not bothered clearing them up as we don't use the loft much and we knew there would be more and more as the year progressed, so bringing out the dead would be a sisyphean task. I guess now's the time.

4 comments:

ArcticFox said...

In my quest to save the planet's creatures, I am afraid that my courtesy does not extend to wasps!!

"If bees make honey, do wasps make jam?"
"No son, they just sting and bite and scratch, so go on, burn their wings off with your magnifying glass."
"Ok, cheers."
Bzzzzzzzz

FoX

Rob Clack said...

I figure that as long as they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.

Suffolkmum said...

Ugh. Best of luck. I try my best to be zen-like about them, but I am phobic about them.

Rob Clack said...

Of course, the fact that it permits us to crow over how very environmentally consciencious, not to say brave, we are is nothing to do with it!