Monday, 13 August 2007

Self-indulgence

I don't know whether it's just a function of Jenny's being away, but now I've found this Guardian article. I should have known not to read it at work. It was all I could do not to sob out loud, which is not really the done thing in an open-plan office! The question I'm asking myself is why do I so enjoy this stuff and the feelings it provokes.

On a happier note, I can report that the cassoulet is a cracker! Note *is*. There was enough for 4 enormous portions, so plenty to freeze and I can have some more on Thursday. Sadly, I was unable to persuade Jane, who dropped by for a drink, to have some as she'd only just had dinner with her daughter. Feeble excuse, I say! I decanted a bottle of Gigondas which really was rather good. Jenny doesn't much like Chateauneuf-du-Pape and the Gigondas is sufficiently similar that I generally only open one when she's away.

Tonight I shall cook gem squash stuffed with mince and rice. A gem squash I grew myself, no less! Apparently if there's one food item all ex-pat South Africans crave, it's gem squash. And unlike last night I shall not get (completely) smashed, and I shall watch the light show in the sky, even if I did miss the best night.

And even more on the food front... The fig tree is absolutely loaded with fruit, though only a few ripen at any one time. The figs are just gorgous, but sadly, the local blackbird population is in full agreement, and they're eating the bloody things as fast as they can. I'm having to pick them slightly early just to find undamaged ones. It's a good job blackbirds are too small to be worth eating, or I'd be donning my pie-baking pinnie, I can tell you!

1 comment:

Cait O'Connor said...

Thanks for the link to the Guardian article, well worth reading.