Monday, 20 August 2007

le Weekend

Not really much to say, so I'll just rabbit on a bit.

Saturday we cooked the beef I bought from the new village butcher I discovered the other week. It was a 2kg forerib of Hereford, and it was simply divine. Onion gravy, roast potatoes, green beens and carrots from the garden. And we discovered at the last minute that Jane was free, so she came too. What a great evening. We had some Vergelegen red, then some nice Argentinian red that Jane brought, then some Cotes de Beaunes I think. And probably some white, too, though that bit's a little vague. Yes, 3 hangovers yesterday morning!

Sunday it rained most of the day, but we still managed to get to the garden centre for a conifer for the front garden. We dug out a very ratty berberis and stuck the new conifer in its place, but then decided the bare earth all around the new plant needed something, so returned to the garden centre for some winter heathers.

In the evening we ate the smoked gammon joint also from the new butcher, and it, too, was just delicious. New potatoes, carrots and beetroot from the garden, the latter with a sweet and sour white sauce. Yummy!

Jane used the rain as an excuse not to come around for a drink, but I think she just didn't want another hangover this morning! She missed some nice Muscadet and a reasonable Australian red.

12 comments:

Pondside said...

Yummm - sounds as though you like to cook and eat at your house!
Thank you for your comment on my blog - I'm seriously considering all the wise comments and vowing to make the changes.

Rob Clack said...

We are a little..er..enthusiastic about food and wine!

Sorry if my comment about your back was a bit bleak. I hope you can avoid serious trouble. I recommend physio's over osteo's and a daily, back-orientated exercise regime. There I go again. Sigh.

orchidea said...

Sounds scrumptious to this confirmed carnivore. I envy you your Sunday-only hangover; mine tend to last for days, which is why I've never really got into alcohol. Maybe that's a blessing rather than a curse, hmmm.

FunkyMunky said...

Sounds delicious. I love cooking too. I envy you your hangover ... especially as you had others to share it with. My husband doesn't drink and nor did anyone else at the party I went to on Saturday. I can't remember the last time I got drunk with someone!!

Rob Clack said...

The difference, Orchidea dear, is down to a life-time's practice! It's not that I like drinking, you understand, but I just have to keep those liver enzymes fit and up to speed! Realistically, you're likely to live a lot longer than I am.

Oh how sad, FM. Most of our really close friends are drinking buddies, though they do tend to have better control than I do.

WesterWitch/Headmistress said...

Ok now I am really hungry - but have a home cooked chicken curry to look forward to - otherwise I would be chewing the table legs and it would be your fault. We have red wine too . . . although only the Co-op's best . . .

Rob Clack said...

I'm a bloke. Of course it's my fault!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Not a drop of wine has passed my lips for 10 days. I usually enjoy a glass, just the one, but I can't remember ever having a hangover..

Crystal xx

DJ Kirkby said...

Erm...yum! if the rest of your posts carry on in this fashion I will be addicted to visitng!

Suffolkmum said...

Sadly, I can (remember the hangovers). They're etched in my brain. Glad to see you listed as a Purple member! The beef sounds delicious. My life seems to revolve around food and drink too.

Rob Clack said...

Meant to say, WesterWitch, how was your curry? And also, the Coop used to have amongst the best buyers of the UK supermarkets. Don't know it that's still true, but could be.

Crystal: I wish I had that level of control.

DJK: please come back. It's late and I've not had time to explore everyone's blogs, though I'm sure I've visited yours. Something to do with the red....

SM: still exploring Purplecoo and having fun..!

elizabethm said...

life is all about eating and drinking in my view (and gardening and family) so loved your blog.