Monday, 13 August 2007

Last.fm

Hey, this is really cool! Someone mentioned last.fm at work, so I thought I'd take a look over the weekend. I downloaded their player and installed it, but it wouldn't play, so I emailed support. After spending quite a bit of time in the Help system and googling, of course. Today back came the reply "Check settings in tools->options->radio" so I did that, changed one thing and hey presto, the radio works.

I selected Artist from the drop-down list, typed in Emma Kirkby and it immediately played a track of the lovely Emma singing something. Then it played me some Montiverdi, then some Handel, then some Pergolesi. And there's no advertising, no-one talking, no interviews with artists, just continuous music. Perfect.

I've had to ban June Tabor (I think) 'cos I don't think much of her, but from what I understand, last.fm will keep a note of what I listen to and work out what I like, then only play that to me. Brilliant! Shame I can't have it on at work!

7 comments:

rilly super said...

Emma Kirkby is a dream, been to see her a couple of times. here is a man of refinement clearly

Rob Clack said...

Pretty keen on Noel Coward, too, actually (just to prove I've read your latest, very funny post!)

Motheratlarge said...

This sounds like the eventual fun of having on-line music might outweight the almost certain short-term pain of installing the wretched thing, which is likely to involve humiliating grovelling to my husband to ask for his IT assistance.

ps - I was crying too at the Guardian article you flagged up..... and as for the blog written by the young girl...

Rob Clack said...

I don't know why I keep going back to her blog, but I do. I keep thinking "Isn't she great? Would I have that kind of courage?" Makes me cry every time. Why do I keep going back?

Rob Clack said...

I mean, of course, Blue Linchpin. Sorry, got confused. Sigh, it's an age thing!

Rob Clack said...

Actually, MaL, I don't think you have to install it at all, though you might have to register. I've just visited the home page where I found a "Start last.fm radio" button, and it's now playing from within firefox.

Motheratlarge said...

Rob, I knew which blog you meant, don't worry. Thanks for the tip about how to install the radio. I'll give it a go.