Saturday, 4 August 2007

Heh!

In about 1979 we bought a Zanussi upright freezer, which we've used ever since. It's been completely reliable, with only one irritating quirk. Once you've been ferreting in it and closed the door, it's a while before you can open it again, since the warm air you've let in contracts and sucks the door closed. I've met this in other people's freezers too, so it's not just this model.

This morning it happened again, and I was thinking it would be a good idea if there was a button you could push to let some air in. Then wondered whether I could fit such a device myself. Then realised all I needed to do was lift the seal around the door slightly to break the vacuum.

That was when the lightbulb lit up. I got a small plastic spatula out of the drawer and slid it past the door seal. There was a quiet pffft! and the door opened as easily as ever.

So two university-educated adults, one now a Cambridge professor, lived with this irritation for 28 years before thinking of the solution. Yep, all you need is grey cells. Or something.

2 comments:

Lindystar the HOR blogger said...

Ahahahaha Please tell me I'm laughing WITH you! Heee heee, that really cracks me up.

Way to think "outside the( ice) box."

:)

Rob Clack said...

Yeah. Cool, huh? :>